Hot! Strike Force Claymore 2: More positive results across Moree Shire

NINETEEN notices for children “at-risk” were completed at the weekend as part of Strike Force Claymore 2 during the latest in a series of high visibility police deployments conducted in the Barwon Local Area Command.

Police also conducted 66 searches while two juveniles will be dealt with under the young offenders act in relation to arson offences.

A breakdown of results from the past weekend includes:

  • 12 arrests, eight charges: offences included serious violence and traffic offences;
  • Two motorists charged with drink-driving offences and one motorist provided a positive roadside drug test;
  • 19 notifications completed for children at-risk;
  • Two young persons will be dealt with under the Young Offenders Act in relation to arson offences;
  • 10 move-on directions were issued, 66 searches were conducted, 105 infringement notices issued, 20 licensed premises were inspected and more than 200 vehicles stopped.NSW_Police_car_2006_NYE

Officers also responded to reports of rock throwers and driving complaints which led to the arrests of:

  • A 46-year-old man issued with a number of traffic infringement notices after he was identified as the rider of a quad bike in Arunga Street around 6pm yesterday (Sunday 03 December 2017); and
  • A 34-year-old man identified as the rider of a motorcycle in Amaroo Drive – the local man has been charged with Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period – 2nd+off, Use unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on road and Use uninsured motor vehicle.

Crime manager, detective inspector David Silversides said additional general duties and specialist police had been strategically deployed in phases over the past four days.

“The focus of the operation was for high-visibility policing at identified hotspots and during peak times,” Mr Silversides said.

“The targeted police response included roving patrols, licensed premises inspections, RBT, bail compliance and visits with high risk offenders.

“During the operation police received positive feedback from members of the community, supportive of the high-profile proactive police presence,” he said.

Detective Inspector Silversides said that despite isolated reports of malicious damage at the weekend, an analysis of the general crime rates across the Command indicated the volume of offences were well down on similar reporting periods.

“This is by no means an indication for us to relax our focus on property crime and we continue to urge residents to be conscious of the security of their homes and vehicles and take basic steps to ensure they are less likely to become a victim,” Mr Silversides said.

“Be aware of what’s going in your neighbourhood, if something or someone looks out of place or suspicious please call us immediately.

“Barwon Local Area Command remains intent on ensuring acceptable levels of conduct and safety are maintained in our local communities and townships and this includes the civil behaviour of those attending functions and the responsible service of alcohol,” he said.

“Considerable resources where required at a number of alcohol fuelled incidents over the weekend including two at licensed venues within the Moree township on Saturday evening.

“It is a timely reminder for those attending licensed premises over the coming weeks that police patrols will be intensified with a view to swiftly dealing with any inappropriate or troublesome behaviour,” he said.

Police urge residents to continue to work with Police and report any suspicious behaviour immediately. Anyone with information that may assist police in relation to people wanted by the police; unsolved crimes and/or future crime that is being planned; or suspicious and unusual activity are urged to contact Police either by phoning Barwon Local Area Command on 02 6757 0799 or Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000.

Media Release: December 4, 2017